The National eGovernance Division at Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology has been entrusted with the mandate to form a division called India Enterprise Architecture (IndEA) which would drive the initiative across Government Ministries, States and other Agencies.
Under the overarching vision of Digital India, Government of India aims to make all Government services digitally accessible in an integrated manner to citizens through multiple channels, such as web, mobile and common service delivery outlets. Also, users have become more tech-savvy and are demanding faster delivery of services which match with the private sector and other eGovernance delivering nations across the world. The United Nations eGovernance survey emphasized on a whole-of-government approach, policy integration and use of big data analytics in order to provide better governance to citizens. These trends require breaking of sectoral barriers and silos & re-architecting the Government as a single enterprise. Accordingly, a working group was constituted by Standardisation Testing and Quality Certification (STQC), MeitY under the leadership of former IT Secretary, Shri J. Satyanarayana, to develop the India Enterprise Architecture (IndEA) framework.
IndEA provides a generic framework, (based on The Open Group Architecture Framework -TOGAF) comprising of a set of architecture reference models, which can be converted into a Whole-of-Government Architecture for India, Ministries, States, Govt. Agencies etc. The IndEA framework is based on federated architecture approach and recognizes the need to accommodate both greenfield (new) and brownfield (existing / legacy) eGovernance initiatives.
India Enterise Architecture aims at the following:
- Documenting and sharing explicit and implicit architecture best practices
- Providing guidance in the development of enterprise architectures
- Capturing key elements of architecture and inter-relationships between them
- Providing the means for architecture governance by enabling an audit process
- Enabling adoption of standards based on common understanding
- Along with the IndEA framework, an IndEA Adoption Guide has also been prepared. The IndEA adoption guide summarizes IndEA and other pioneering enterprise architecture initiatives in the government sector to elaborate the way IndEA can be used by Central Ministries, State Governments, Government Agencies and Public Sector Enterprises who wish to re-architect their enterprises for integrated delivery of digital services.